Need help achieving IEC/EN certification? Schedule a free consultation with our team to discuss testing and achieving compliance for your product, or call us on 866-540-5287 to talk to our compliance experts right away.
If you’re a manufacturer of an electrical device with a rated input current that exceeds 16 A per phase, achieving compliance with the IEC/EN 61000-4-34 standard is a critical step in showing that your device is safe and reliable.
It’s also important for achieving access to key markets, including the European Economic Area (EEA), which includes the EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
As specialists in compliance testing for electrical and electronic devices, our team can help you to test your device for IEC 61000-4-34 conformity.
We can also answer any of your questions about IEC/EN 61000-4-34, from how this standard works to the steps you’ll need to take to achieve compliance for your device.
For more information about IEC 61000-4-34, continue reading below. You can also contact us online or call us at 866-540-5287 to request a quote for your device, talk to our engineers, or ask us any questions about the testing and compliance process.
What is IEC/EN 61000-4-34?
IEC 61000-4-34 is one of numerous standards developed by the International Electrotechnical Commission, or IEC. The standard is designed to ensure that devices have sufficient immunity to voltage dips, variations and short interruptions that can occur in the power supply.
These events may occur as a result of sudden changes in the power grid, such as switching or faults. Devices that comply with IEC 61000-4-34 can continue to function as normal during and after these events, without suffering damage or reductions in performance.
IEC 61000-4-34 applies to electrical and electronic equipment that has a rated input capacity of greater than 16 A per phase and is designed for use on a public, low-voltage power system.
EN 61000-4-34 is the European Norm version of this standard, and is required for devices sold in the European Economic Area.
Most devices affected by IEC 61000-4-34 are designed for industrial use. This standard may be relevant if your electrical device falls into any of the following categories:
- Industrial machinery, such as CNC machines, industrial manufacturing equipment, and other devices used in a manufacturing or industrial setting.
- Medical equipment, including MRI machines, CT scanners, and other devices used for diagnosis and/or treatment.
- Data center equipment, such as servers, large-scale data storage systems, and other computer and networking hardware.
- Power generation equipment, including generators, turbines, and other equipment for electricity generation that’s used in a commercial or industrial setting.
- Large-scale telecommunications infrastructure, including switching stations and base station controllers.
- Large office devices and equipment, including commercial, high-capacity printers and copiers.
- Transportation machines used in commercial and industrial buildings, such as elevators and escalators.
- Uninterruptible power supply systems designed to provide backup power and protect equipment from damage in the event of a grid failure.
- Audio/visual equipment, including professional-grade audio systems, display screens, projectors and other devices.
- Commercial and industrial HVAC systems.
In some cases, large electronic devices intended for consumer/residential use may also fit into the IEC 61000-4-34 standard. These devices may include:
- Home HVAC systems, including large, central heating and/or cooling systems used in some homes and residential buildings.
- Large home appliances, such as high-power kitchen appliances, refrigerators, freezers and home cleaning equipment.
- Electric vehicle chargers, particularly newer, higher-capacity devices that are designed to provide faster charging.
- Residential solar equipment, including solar panels and home solar setups that provide power back to the grid.
- Backup power systems for homes and apartment buildings, including systems used for critical power backup.
- Equipment for swimming pools, such as swimming pool pumps and/or heating systems for pools installed in homes or apartment buildings.
- High-end home entertainment devices, such as professional-grade audio equipment or home theater systems.
How to Achieve IEC/EN 61000-4-34 Compliance for Your Device
Understand the Standard’s Requirements
Like other IEC standards, IEC 61000-4-34 provides specific performance requirements for any electrical and electronic equipment with a rated input current exceeding 16 A per phase that is connected to low-voltage power supply networks.
These requirements include performance standards for voltage dips, short interruptions (losses in power supply) and voltage variations.
Before seeking compliance, it’s important to understand the requirements of the standard and how these may affect your device’s design and choice of components.
You can purchase the 61000-4-34 standard from the IEC webstore. Alternatively, our team can explain the standard to you and provide information to help you design your electrical device for optimal performance and compliance.
Carry Out IEC 61000-4-34 Testing
Numerous lab tests are used to assess your device’s performance and compare it to the IEC/EN 61000-4-34 standard. These include lab simulations of voltage dips and interruptions, as well as increases and decreases in voltage.
During these tests, your device’s performance is assessed, including its functionality during the event, its recovery time, and its ability to continue operating without suffering damage. Detailed reports are prepared to document your device’s performance and function.
As an accredited testing lab, we can carry out IEC testing for your device and help you achieve compliance with IEC 61000-4-34 and its harmonized standards.
If your device fails to meet the standard’s requirements during testing, you may need to make modifications to your design. Our team can assist you and provide recommendations for your device to help you achieve compliance.
Contact Us to Discuss IEC Testing & Compliance
Complying with IEC/EN 61000-4-34 is a key step in demonstrating your product’s quality and gaining market access.
As specialists in electrical device testing, we can complete testing for your device and ensure you achieve IEC 61000-4-34 conformity.
For more information about IEC standards, or to request a free quote for testing your device, contact us online or call us at 866-540-5287.
Talk to Our IEC/EN Compliance Experts
Need help achieving IEC, EN or other certification for your product?
Enter your name, email address and question, and our engineering team will contact you to answer your questions and help you achieve compliance for your product.