Need help complying with FCC regulations? Schedule a free consultation with our team to discuss FCC testing and achieving compliance for your product, or call us on 866-540-5287 to talk to our compliance experts right away.
Get Free Answers to Your FCC Compliance Questions
Need help achieving compliance with FCC Part 15 or other FCC regulations?
Enter your name, email address and question, and our engineering team will contact you with the information you need to solve your FCC testing questions and achieve compliance for your product.
FCC part 18 is required for any electrical device emitting RF intentionally. It sets forth the conditions under which the equipment in question may operate. The FCC Part 18 general technical requirements stipulate that ISM equipment must be designed and made according to the established best engineering practices to ensure adequate shielding and filtering to suppress any emissions on frequencies falling outside the frequency bands specified in §18.301.
Compliance Testing leverages state-of-the-art laboratories and a highly experienced team to carry out effective RF exposure testing in a range of products to make them market-ready within the shortest time possible.
What equipment falls under FCC Part 18?
Most equipment in FCC Part 18 is industrial in nature, with a few consumer ISM devices. Some of the typical equipment under Part 18:
- inductive chargers
- some types of welders
- ultrasonic equipment emitting less than 500 watts and operating below 90 kHz
Do general consumer medical devices require FCC Part 18 testing?
Typically, consumer medical devices don’t fall under FCC Part 18 unless the specific medical equipment is designed to emit and use RF energy locally for medical reasons. If you are unsure whether FCC part 18 applies to your product, our experts are more than happy to guide you.
Steps to obtain FCC certifications
Obtaining FCC certification is easy when you work with the right testing company, such as Compliance Testing. The following are the general steps to full FCC certification:
- Choose Radio Frequency and design the equipment: the first step is to determine the frequencies legally open to you and your equipment. Some of the factors to guide your selection include radio range, propagation, size, power consumption, and optimization.
- Testing during development: it is crucial that you perform several pre-compliance tests in-house as the product develops. Our experts are ready to guide you through this stage.
- Register with FCC: you must have FCC Registration Number (FRN) to obtain certifications and authorizations for any radio spectrum device. FRN is obtained free of charge. However, you must pay a nominal fee to receive the mandatory grantee code.
- Select Test Lab: once you have FRN and guarantee code, get in touch with an FCC-registered testing facility such as Compliance Testing. We guarantee top-notch lab-quality testing facilities and capabilities to handle all your testing needs.
- Compliance testing: deliver a product-ready prototype together with technical specifications to the testing facility. You can station a representative to witness the test. The tests typically last for days or weeks, depending on the product.
- Certification and filing: once the tests are completed successfully, Compliance Testing will review the test documentation before issuing your certification on behalf of the FCC. The FCC will then list your product on its approved list.
Compliance Testing provides quick and successful FCC testing and certifications
Manufacturers of equipment generating RF must ensure their products won’t electronically interfere with other products or cause harm to the public. The FCC Part 18 is the section of Title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations that give the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) the authority to regulate ISMs emitting electromagnetic energy on frequencies within the radio frequency spectrum.
Consequently, most products emitting RF energy must be tested for FCC compliance before being marketed or sold in the US. Compliance Testing provides radiated and conducted measurements to verify conformance with Part 18 for ISM products. Our experts perform both in a lab and on-site measurements to guarantee a quick turnaround. Don’t let your FCC compliance wait until it’s too late. Contact us today for more information on how we can assist you in fulfilling your FCC part 18 needs.